Blue Light Exposure – Dangers Go Much Further than Insomnia
05/23/2023 – Bangor, PA: It’s not uncommon to find multiple devices in our hands. Digital screens are used on phones, tablets, laptops, computer monitors and TVs. Some refrigerators also have digital screens.
We love screens (maybe even a little too much), but do they really love us?
What is Blue Light?
Digital screens emit a blue light that is dangerous and can cause retinal damage. Blue light is harmful for our eyes. It’s also called high-energy visible light (HEV).
An article by UW Medicine, (University of Washington) suggests that you might notice the following problems if you spend much time in front of a digital screen:
- Eye Strain
- Dry Eyes
- Sleep loss
- Macular degeneration
We are more likely to notice both short-term and long-term effects if we spend more time looking at screens.
The technological advances in protective eyewear have led to an effective solution.
Blue light glasses (also called computer glasses) are designed to block the harmful blue light which causes so much harm.
We have you covered at VS Eyewear. Our computer glasses protect your eyes with over 1,000 frame styles, many of which are from brands that you love and know.
What if I wear contact lenses?
It would be absurd to remove your contact lenses every time you look at a digital display.
The “Plano” Blue Light Glasses come in handy.
These non-prescription lenses offer the benefit of blue light blockage technology to your eyes without having to remove your contact lenses.
It’s the best of both worlds.
It is perfectly acceptable to wear blue-light glasses with contact lenses.
Browse the styles of computer sunglasses or Blu-Ban blue light blocking glasses that VS Eyewear offers, or Contact us if you have any questions about eyewear. Your eyes will be grateful.
Numerous studies have shown that blue light is the leading cause of insomnia and sleep disturbances.
The University of Haifa published three important results of a nighttime blue-light exposure study including:
- Sleep time is reduced overall
- Reduced sleep quality due to frequent awakenings
- Melatonin production is suppressed.
The last item that they list is what we should examine in more detail, as blue light exposure and reduced melatonin are far more than just insomnia.
What does melatonin do?
Melatonin, a hormone produced primarily by the neurotransmitter Serotonin within the pineal gland, is known as the “sleep hormone”. The “”sleep-hormone”” is known for helping the body relax and achieve a state where REM sleep can be uninterrupted. Melatonin has many other functions that are often forgotten.
- Modulating steroid hormones like cortisol or noradrenalin can reduce the effects of mood neurotransmitters such as serotonin and Dopamine.
- Regulation of immune cells and proper inflammation response to injuries and wounds.
- Sleep quality is often affected by the temperature of your body.
- Helps regulate estrogen levels and the menstrual cycle.
- It is a powerful anti-oxidant.
Deficiency in melatonin can affect your weight, menstrual cycle, and immune system. But there are other dangers that come with it. What are the risks of melatonin deficiencies? Sleep disorders are dangerous enough, but there are many other health problems that can be caused by not getting enough sleep. Here are a few of the health risks that were included in an Institute of Health Sciences List:
- Mood Disorders and Behavior Changes. Patients with depression or panic disorder tend to have lower melatonin concentrations.
- Increased Cancer risk. Reduced levels of melatonin, because of its anti-oxidant properties and effects on the immune system, can increase cancer risk.
- Increased Risk of Cardiovascular Disease. The increased activity of sympathetic nerves at night and the decreased melatonin levels can cause blood vessel wall weakness.
It is important to avoid melatonin deficiencies.
Reduced blue light exposure helps prevent melatonin deficiency
- Most people will take a melatonin pill to increase their levels of melatonin, but reducing blue light exposure would be a more simple and effective solution. Here are three ways to reduce blue light exposure.
- Avoid Bright Screens: Avoid watching television, using your computer, cell phone or other bright screens before going to bed.
- Filter out Blue Light: Blue-light blocking glasses are the best option if nighttime exposure is not possible.
- Red Light Nightlights: Melatonin is friends with red light. You should use a red night light instead of bluish light if you want to have melatonin.
Reduce your blue light exposure by following our list of suggestions and get a pair of computer glasses for those occasions when you cannot avoid blue light exposure. Decrease your blue light exposure by following our list of suggestions and get your hands on a pair of computer glasses for those occasions when you cannot avoid blue light exposure. For more information, please contact us at VS Eyewear or call 1-877-872-5780 (in the United States) or 1-484-546-0029 (outside the United States). Our highly trained customer service representatives and in-house optometrists can help you through your eyewear journey online.
VS Eyewear offers a broad selection of products to our industrial users such as Prescription Safety Glasses, Radiation Protection Glasses, Welding Safety Glasses, Laser Safety Glasses, and Glass Working supplies. For our consumer customer base, we offer the latest fashions and styles in computer glasses, night driving glasses, and sunglasses. Most Prescription glasses are available in a variety of lens materials including Glass. VS Eyewear is an international leader in eyeglass sales and we offer a huge selection of brands at prices that can’t be beaten. As an authorized dealer of major industrial, designer, and brand-name eyewear, we guarantee that our optical products are high-quality, authentic, and backed by a full manufacturer’s warranty. Find high-quality eyewear that matches your look, lifestyle, and budget.
Like us: https://www.facebook.com/vseyewear/
Follow us: https://www.instagram.com/VS_Eyewear/
Retweet us: https://twitter.com/VSEyewear
Company Name: VS Eyewear
Contact Person: Media Relations
Email: Send Email
Address: 26 Broadway, Bangor
State: Pennsylvania, 18013
Country: United States
Website Url: https://vseyewear.com
Leave a Reply